Job Post Details
Role: Geotechnical Engineer
Contact: Anjelika Masajlo, Talent Acquisition and Development Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
McElhanney Ltd. has an exciting opportunity for an Intermediate Geotechnical Engineer to enhance our project engineering team Terrace, BC. In this position, you will play a key role as part of a skilled geotechnical team delivering integrated practical geotechnical engineering solutions to a variety of well-established clients which include local governments provincial ministries and agencies, crown corporations, , and a diverse group of industrial, private and resource sector clients. Coupled with dynamic people and leadership skills, and an aptitude for client management and business development, our Geotechnical Engineer will play a key role to help deliver the geotechnical component of a variety of multidisciplinary projects which include transportation and municipal engineering and energy & resources related projects.
With deep roots in the community, our Terrace office has been proud to service local and regional clients with a full range of engineering services for over 50 years. Known as one of Northern BC’s most vibrant cities, Terrace is recognized as the service, educational, medical, and transportation hub of the region! Terrace offers affordable housing, world class fishing, and recreation available during all four seasons! We’re proud to have Snow Magazine list our local “Shames Mountain Ski Resort” as one of the top ski resorts in the world!
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Plan and conduct field programs for geotechnical investigations and studies (including drilling and test pitting assessments), and complete with interpretation and documentation of results
- Project manage delivery of geotechnical field programs on a variety of transportation, municipal and resource related projects in diverse terrain and geological conditions.
- Prepare fee estimates and proposals for geotechnical projects, provide senior review of geotechnical reports
- Participate in client management, and business development opportunities that complement our Northern BC business model
- Undertake construction reviews and maintain suitable documentation for projects requiring geotechnical sign off in accordance with professional best practices and our Quality Management System
- Work cross-functionally with our civil engineering and structural engineering departments assisting with land development, municipal, structural and transportation projects
- Assist with mentoring junior technical staff
What You’ll Bring:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Geotechnical/Geological Engineering or Civil Engineering with a geotechnical focus.
- A minimum of 4 years related experience.
- Registration as a P.Eng. in BC, or eligible for registration; member in good standing with Engineers and Geoscientists BC.
- Sound technical expertise and thorough knowledge of engineering principles and theories.
- Ability to prepare engineering reports and studies.
- Leadership skills with the ability to delegate responsibilities and motivate others to produce results.
- Organized, good written and verbal communication skills, attention to detail, excellent problem-solving skills, and general computer knowledge.
What Can We Offer You?
- Competitive salary and participation in our generous Performance Bonus Plan.
- Financial assistance with relocation if applicable.
- As a professional you may have an opportunity for share ownership (subject to meeting eligibility criteria and approval – see below)
- Flexible work hours to accommodate your busy lifestyle
- Maternity leave top-up and parental leave
- Great benefits, including extended health and dental coverage, healthcare spending account, and RRSP matching
- Employee and Family assistance program, which offers 24/7 support for all employees and their families either online or over the phone
- A workplace culture that is characterized by respect and inclusion for all
- Continuous support for your professional development and growth
- Participation in our numerous programs that support our Four Cornerstones.
Based in Western Canada for over 110 years, McElhanney offers innovative and practical engineering, surveying, mapping, planning, landscape architecture, and environmental services. As a 100% employee-owned and operated firm, with over 1,000 staff members in 33 locations, we are proud to offer qualified staff with shareholding options in our company. At McElhanney, we work in teams to build strong connections with our staff, clients, and local communities. Our employees enjoy working here because of our varied projects, high levels of autonomy, opportunities for career development, excellent total compensation and benefits package, and collaborating with a team of great professionals.