Job Post Details
Role: Civil Engineer (Terminals Practice – Water)
Company: Urban Systems
Contact: Miranda Luison, email@example.com
About the Opportunity
Our thriving Vancouver office is looking to hire a Civil Engineer to enhance our current professional practice. Our teams work closely with our clients to solve complex, multi-stakeholder issues through the delivery of high-quality planning, functional engineering, detailed design, and implementation. Our work includes all types of industrial, port and terminal water infrastructure to support operational, environmental and regulatory objectives including conveyance, storage and water treatment.
We are known for our ability to solve complex technical challenges, for clear communication, and for the ability to integrate unique needs and multiple perspectives in developing practical solutions. We have extensive in-house capabilities to take infrastructure projects through the various planning, design, and implementation phases.
Continuing demand for innovative solutions in civil design and engineering has prompted our search for a talented and motivated individual. In this role, you will have the opportunity to support and lead a variety of projects for clients throughout Western Canada. The successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
• Lead preliminary and detailed engineering design assignments working primarily with industrial, port and terminal clients, with the ability to support other related infrastructure practices and clients;
• Support, coordinate, and expedite activities of a civil design team to achieve project objectives;
• Develop proposals, workplans, and engineering budgets in response to clients needs and objectives;
• Contribute to the design and production of engineering designs, including drainage systems, pump stations, ponds, site grading, watermains, sanitary and storm sewer systems and related facilities;
• Prepare detailed engineering designs, cost estimates, risk registers, plans, reports, construction schedules, and supporting documentation;
• Coordinate the efforts of multi-disciplinary design teams through the development of concepts, detailed designs, and preparation of tender documents and contracts;
• Assist with construction supervision, inspection, and administration of construction projects;
• Guide and mentor junior engineers and designers; and
• Coordinate with project managers and various discipline engineers ensuring consistency in the execution of civil design activities to complete project work in time, on budget and with the quality standards of the firm.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we offer a flexible work arrangement with both in-office and at home working potential. Our work does at times require in-person client meetings as well as face-to-face meetings while maintaining safety protocols. Therefore, the individual will need to reside in Greater Vancouver.
Given the variety of project needs, we will consider candidates who have at least 2 years of experience and are registered as an EIT or Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) in Western Canada with a range of experience, education, and backgrounds in civil engineering. Typical qualifications would include an undergraduate or graduate degree in Civil Engineering, with prior experience designing, coordinating, and delivering water-related infrastructure. In addition, the following attributes would be considered of great benefit to this role:
• Experience working with industrial, port, or terminal clients, and a desire to make these clients an area of focus for career growth and development;
• Experience with industrial infrastructure, particularly water and wastewater systems;
• An understanding of pump stations and related mechanical piping, instrumentation, and controls;
• Ability to read and understand process flow diagrams and process engineering drawings;
• Experience with site inspection during construction of related industrial infrastructure;
• Understanding of engineering hydrology and hydraulics and climate change;
• Proficient at using Autodesk Civil 3D to develop civil designs and familiar with drawing production in an AutoCAD environment, to the extent that input, guidance, and support of junior staff would be possible;
• Experience working on multi-disciplinary civil/industrial infrastructure projects;
• Strong written and oral communication skills, with the ability to synthesize, document, effectively communicate complex technical concepts to non-technical audiences;
• Interest or experience in a fast-paced, self-directed work environment where initiative is encouraged, and the continual delivery of consistent, high-quality work is expected;
• Comfort with uncertainty or variability in project objectives or data and the ability to work collaboratively with clients and colleagues to document clear recommendations and arrive at equitable solutions;
• Experience working with and managing sub-consultants;
• A practical and collaborative approach to problem-solving, with a keen eye for detail;
• The ability to listen to others to develop and nurture positive interpersonal relationships with people from varying backgrounds, including colleagues and clients; and
• Experience working in a consulting environment, including a demonstrated ability to deliver on multiple assignments in a dynamic environment.
Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned interdisciplinary consulting firm based in Western Canada. In business since 1975, we have over four decades of experience working with a variety of clients including all levels of government, First Nations, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector. Our team of over 450 people, across multiple branch offices, is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all sizes.
Our Commitment to You
At Urban Systems, we make significant investments in our people, which is why we take great care to hire those who we believe will thrive in Urban Systems over the long term. We’ve become recognized as a workplace of choice by nurturing a unique corporate culture that sets us apart and provides:• Challenging and interesting project opportunities;
• A fun workplace, where hard work accomplishes great things;
• The opportunity to work with industry leading professionals in a collaborative environment;
• Ongoing career development and learning; and
• Meaningful rewards and recognition.
How to Apply
Urban Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create an inclusive culture for all employees. Our clients come from all walks of life and so do you. We believe that diversity and unity amongst our teams leads to building vibrant communities. If this describes your background, your skills, and your natural talents, please check out our website (https://grnh.se/b4c956f73us) for more information and submit your resume and cover letter.
Deadline for applications: Tuesday, April 23, 2021 at 9:00 am PST