Job Post Details
Role: Civil Engineer
Company: Urban Systems
Our growing Northeastern BC consulting practice is looking to add an experienced and motivated Professional Engineer (preference in Civil) to join our team of professionals who provide exceptional service to our clients. We are looking for someone who shares our core values, has a passion for developing creative solutions, and who has a spark for consulting and building client relationships. As the office in the Peace Practice is a growing team and client base, this is an excellent opportunity for someone to accelerate their career growth and responsibility.
In this role, you will benefit from the support of industry professionals and experienced engineers while working on exciting and results-oriented projects primarily for small to medium local governments and Indigenous communities. Our local efforts here are supported by colleagues, resources, and expertise available across the entire company making a visible difference in the communities that we serve. Coupled with the diverse learning and project experience opportunities, some of your key responsibilities will include the following:
• Hone your civil engineering skills (water, wastewater, storm, transportation and enhance your understanding of technical best practices in real-world applications
• Build and grow relationships with existing project leaders and clients; proactively and professionally, communicate with contractors, co-workers, clients, and the general public
• Lead diverse project teams to establish innovative yet practical concepts and design solutions for our clients
• Preparing technical reports, plans, studies, proposals, and oral presentations
• Preparing, with our design team, design drawings, construction details, specifications, cost estimates and contract documents
• Participate in construction support services, including the review of construction progress, change orders
• Coaching and mentoring younger professionals and collaborating with others to continue building our team
• Demonstrating a commitment to learning through the ongoing achievement of personal and professional goals
The preferred candidate for this opportunity will be a Civil Engineer that is registered or eligible for registration as a professional member with EGBC as a Professional Engineer. In addition, the following attributes would be considered a benefit to this role:
• A commitment to learning through the ongoing achievement of personal and professional goals
• Ability to initiate, problem solve and work hard to deliver value
• A desire to seek out opportunities to collaborate with people of varying backgrounds and perspectives
• An ability and desire to collaborate and communicate with clients and internal teams, with the perspective of developing, in parallel to engineering experience, a consulting mindset
• An interest and experience in fostering relationships with new and existing clients
• A keen interest in coaching and mentoring others
• Ability to work on multiple projects at a time and thrive in a self-directed work environment
• Willing and able to travel to project sites throughout Western Canada, including rural communities in the Peace River region
• Valid Class 5 Driver’s License
At Urban Systems, vibrant communities are everything—including our own work community. Since 1975, we have grown to more than 600 people with 15 offices across Canada. Every day, our purpose-driven team works closely with our clients and their communities to deliver impactful work. We are proud to work with diverse clients including Indigenous communities, all levels of government, and the natural resource sector.
Northeastern BC has a young, energetic and growing population. This is an opportunity to live and play in the north while joining a tight-knit team of professionals working on unique assignments creating resilient and vibrant communities.
Our Fort St. John office, established for over 25 years, has a team of 21 people who support local government and Indigenous communities across the Peace region. We are a welcoming, inclusive, and community-oriented group of people that frequently come together to participate and help out in the community at a variety of events. We recently opened a new office in Dawson Creek in 2020. If the idea of being a part of building a new team is intriguing to you, then Dawson Creek may be a great place for you.
At this time, we are looking for enthusiastic teammates to join us and make either Fort St. John or Dawson Creek home.
Our Commitment to You
Are you looking for opportunities to lead challenging initiatives in your community? Join a diverse and supportive group of professionals at Urban Systems and take part in impactful work building vibrant communities across Canada. Here’s what you can expect as a team member at Urban Systems:
• Competitive Compensation. Your skills and contributions are valued. You’ll receive competitive compensation, extended health, dental, vision care coverage, and more!
• Paid Time Off. We encourage all team members to take time off to recharge and spend time with loved ones. Enjoy 3 weeks of paid vacation to start, in addition to statutory days off throughout the year.
• Learn and Grow. Your professional growth and development are supported here. You are encouraged to take initiative and shape your career through coaching, in-house learning, technical courses, and more.
• Work With Inter-Disciplinary Teams. Amazing things happen when you mix creativity, curiosity, teamwork, and a strong desire to collaborate and innovate. You will be part of diverse, inter-disciplinary teams to deliver important work for our clients and their communities.
• Flexible Hours and Work Environment. You have a life outside of work. We offer flexibility in your work schedule and work environment to help you do your best work and meet your commitments.
• Saving for the Future. To help you achieve your long-term retirement goals, we offer a Long-Term Matching Program that matches your contributions to an RRSP or TFSA.
• Beautiful Office. Do your best work in office spaces designed with your needs in mind. Each of our 15 offices has its own unique personality and design.
• Support through Transitions. You will be supported through life’s moments and transitions, big or small, including a generous top-up for parental leave.
• Create Lasting Community Impact. Our passion is to create meaningful change in communities – Join a team of leaders who collaborate to bring impactful projects to life
How to Apply
If this describes your background, skills and attributes please visit our website for more information and submit your resume and cover letter. If it doesn’t describe you exactly but you feel you are well suited to this opportunity, we greatly encourage you to apply.
Urban Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create an inclusive culture for all employees. Our clients come from all walks of life and so do we. You believe that diversity and unity amongst our teams lead to building vibrant communities.
Deadline for applications: Monday, June 27th, 2022, at 9:00 am PDT