Job Post Details
Role: Director, Professional Practice, Standards & Development
Company: Engineers & Geoscientists BC
The organization is charged with setting robust standards for entry and enforcing high standards of professional and ethical practice in order to protect the public. Only individuals and firms licensed by Engineers and Geoscientists BC are permitted by law to undertake and assume responsibility for engineering and geoscience work in the province.
Reporting directly to the Chief Regulatory Officer & Registrar, the Director, Professional Practice, Standards, and Development (PPSD) formulates and leads the department’s long-term strategy in alignment with the organization’s strategic priorities and policies. This role is responsible for the continued development of the team and maximizing operational efficiencies. The Director has oversight and champions new projects coming into the department and ensures they align with the organization’s mission and vision.
The Director is accountable for delivering the programs and initiatives of the PPSD department, including the following:
- Managing the development and maintenance of professional practice guidelines and ensuring that training programs are offered to registrants on these guidelines;
- Resolving joint practice issues with other professions;
- Overseeing the Permit to Practice Program for firms;
- Setting the standard for the compliance audit and practice review programs;
- Managing the Continuing Education Program and Annual Reporting requirements;
- Overseeing the response to government legislation impacting the practice of professional engineering and professional geoscience in BC, and commenting on matters of professional reliance impacting the practice of the professions;
- Overseeing the advice provided on professional practice related matters as a result of inquiries from the public and registrants;
- Setting the standard for staff support provided to advisory groups, the Audit and Practice Review Committee and task forces, as needed; and
- Managing the Certified Professional (CP) Program with the Architectural Institute of BC (AIBC).
Due to the nature of the programs delivered by the PPSD department, there is a consistent need to address highly complex issues with significant potential impact on the public and the professions. Many aspects of the programs delivered by the PPSD department also have a significant impact on the organization’s relations with government. As a member of the Leadership Team, the incumbent will work collaboratively with organizational peers to meet the strategic goals and initiatives of Engineers and Geoscientists BC. Lastly, the Director may be called upon to act in the capacity of Registrar and/or Chief Regulatory Officer in their absence, as required.